The rock hewn church of Abune Yemata in the Gheralta Mountains near Guh is renowned for its truly remarkable murals. Abune Yemata church is reached only by a hazardous ascent with tiny footholds and irregular hand grips.
Share this Image
Save 50% when you join our email list
* Final price based on usage, not file size.
- Abune Yemata
- African (places and things)
- Ancient religion
- art (creative discipline)
- AWL Images
- Christian Faith
- color image
- color photography
- color picture
- Ethiopian (places and things)
- multi colored
- painting (artistic activity)
- painting (fine art)
- place of worship
- Religious Art
- religious building
- Religious Mural
- stock photograph
- stock picture
- Tigray province
- Twelve Apostles
- Twelve Apostles (South Africa)
- wall art
- work of art
- Fine murals decorate the interior of the rock hewn church of Yohannes Maequddi, a two hour walk from Degum on a plateau of the Gheralta Mountains east of Debretsion.The spacious rectangular interior is best known for its ancient, well-preserved murals and paintings.
- Ethiopian style religious painting in the small Catholic church at Kalacha on the edge of the Chalbi Desert.
- Ura Kidane Meret Church boasts some of the finest 16th century murals,most painted in the maqdas,or inner sanctuary,of any Ethiopian church.
- Priests of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church pause at the entrance to the rock hewn church of Yohannes Maequddi, a two hour walk from Degum on a plateau of the Gheralta Mountains east of Debretsion.The access to the church is along a narrow cleft between glaring sandstone.
- Deep in thought, an old man with Orthodox cross in hand rests outside the rock hewn church of Abune Yemata in the Gheralta Mountains near Guh.Abune Yemata is reached only by a hazardous ascent with tiny footholds and irregular handgrips.
- Ethiopian Orthodox priests lead a procession of faithful into Abraha Atsheba Church to celebrate Timkat, the churchs most important Holy Day. Ethiopia is Africas oldest Christian nation where more than half the population follows the Ethiopian Orthodox faith. Priests wear colourful vestments while silk brocade umbrellas shade them from the sun.
- The entrance to the ancient rock-hewn church of Mikael Imba,near Atsbi in Ethiopia's most northerly region of Tigray. In all,Tigray has more than 120 rock-hewn churches.
- Aloes add a splash of colour to the parched landscape close to Debre Selam Church,near Atsbi in Ethiopia's most northerly region of Tigray.Flat-roofed stone houses,which are common throughout Tigray Province,may have been introduced into Ethiopia from Arabia as early as 700 BC.
More Related Images
- Ethiopia, Abraha Atsbeha, Tigray Region. The interior of the semi monolithic 10th century church of Abraha Atsbeha is richly adorned with post 17th century paintings depicting biblical scenes.
- A Priest of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church reads a very old, beautifully illustrated bible beside the entrance to the rock hewn church of Yohannes Maequddi.The bibles script is Ge ez, the liturgical language of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, which is comparable to Latin in the Roman Church.
- Kenya,Marsabit,Kalacha. A mural in the Catholic church at Kalacha painted by an Ethiopian artist.
- A priest stands outside the rock-hewn church of Abune Yemata in the Gheralta Mountains near Guh.Carved into a cliff face with a sheer drop of 800 to 1,000 feet,the church is reached only by a hazardous ascent with tiny footholds and irregular hand grips. It is renowned for its truly remarkable murals.
- Narga Selassi church,Isle of Dek,Lake Tana,Gondar region,Ethiopia,Africa
- Early 12th Century Frescoes in Bet Maryam, St. Mary's Church, Lalibela, Ethiopia, Africa
- Ura Kedane Meheriet church, Zege peninsula, Lake Tana, Gondar region, Ethiopia, Africa
- Ethiopia, Lake Tana. Brightly-coloured murals depict religious scenes in Beta Giorgis Monastery.