The ruins of Abbazia di San Galgano which took 70 years to build by the Cistertian monks and finished in 1288 but a succession of famine,black death and lightning strikes lead to deconsecration in 1789 and abandonment.
Share this Image
Save 50% when you join our email list
* Final price based on usage, not file size.
- AWL Images
- color image
- color photography
- color picture
- European (places and things)
- Mediteranean Country
- old (not new)
- place of worship
- religious building
- Round Window
- rural scene
- San Galgano
- South European
- stock photograph
- stock picture
- Western Europe
- Italy,Sicily,Trapani. Selinunte is an abandoned ancient Greek city,with ruins of an acropolis and numerous temples. The city was founded in the seventh century BC,and effectively destroyed in 409 BC. Selinunte is located in the southwest coast of Sicily in the province of Trapani,close to the border with Agrigento province.
- Italy,Sicily,Segesta. Segesta is an abandoned ancient city located in the province of Trapani,about 74 kilometers southwest of Palermo. Segesta was one of the few Sicilian cities founded by the Elymians,one of the so-called indigenous peoples of Sicily. It is believed that the temple was built between 420 and 430 BC.
- Eurasia, Caucasus region, Nagorno Karabakh, independent Armenian enclave officially within Azerbaijan, Dadivank Monastery
- Trajan's Column (UNESCO World Heritage Site) and church of Santa Maria di Loreto at dusk, Rome, Lazio, Italy
- Italy,Rome. The Colosseum.
- Italy,Tuscany,Val d'Orcia. Chapel of Vitaleta and farmhouse.
- Italy,Tuscany,Val d'Orcia. Chapel of Vitaleta.
- Italy,Tuscany,Montepulciano. Madonna di San Biagio church is set on the wooded slopes below the medieval hilltop town of Montepulciano.
More Related Images
- St Marks Square St Marks Cathedral
- St Mark's Square,St Mark's Cathedral
- Sunset silhouette of Chiesa di San Frediano in Cestello Church on River Arno
- Chiesa di san Colombano,Saint Colombano Church and towers Christmas and New Year Lights
- Tempio della Concordia in the Valley of the temples which were built during the fifth century BC
- Vines in typical Tuscan countryside at sunset
- The Duomo and the leaning Tower of Pisa in The Field of Miracles