Jokhang Temple,Barkhor Square - Situated in the heart of Lhasa's Old Quarter and first built in the 7th century,the Jokhang is Tibet's most sacred shrine. Pilgrims still prostrate themselves daily before the main entrance whose flagstones have over the centuries,been worn smooth.
Share this Image
Save 50% when you join our email list
* Final price based on usage, not file size.
- AWL Images
- Barkhor Square
- color image
- color photography
- color picture
- foot (human)
- indigenous people
- Indigenous person
- Jokhang Temple
- religious building
- sole of foot
- stock photograph
- stock picture
- Tibetan Autonomous Region
- Jokhang Temple,Barkhor Square - Situated in the heart of Lhasa's Old Quarter and first built in the 7th century,the Jokhang is Tibet's most sacred shrine. Pilgrims still prostrate themselves daily before the main entrance whose flagstones have over the centuries,been worn smooth
- Jokhang Temple,Barkhor Square - Gilded copper decoration on the roof of the Jokhang Temple. The Jokhang is thought to be the principal geomantic power place in Tibet
- Potala Palace - rising from the slopes of Marpori,or Red Mountain,the Potala Palace was reconstructed in two main phases in the 17th century. Named after Mt Potala,the sacred mountain abode of Avalokiteshvara,the Potala has functioned as the traditional seat of government and winter residence of the Dalai Lamas,as well as housing temples and reliquary tombs
- A young Tibetan woman strolls the Barkhor,the holiest of Lhasa's circumambulatory devotional routes
- Thailand, Bangkok. Giant reclining Buddha statue at Wat Pho.
- Thailand, Bangkok. Detail of Reclining Buddha feet at Wat Pho.
- Drepung Monastery. A monk rests among the painted boulders in the hills beside this vast complex. Founded in the 15th Century, Drepungs heyday came two centuries later when it had around 10,000 affiliated monks from over 300 branch monasteries of the Gelugpa school.
- Pilgrims kneel at the second temple in the Chuk Lam Sim (Bamboo Forest) Monastery at Tsuen Wan,New Territories. The temple complex is one of the most important in Hong Kong and contains three of the largest golden Buddhas in the territory.
More Related Images
- Pabonka Monastery. First built in the 7th Century and among one of Lhasa's most ancient sites,this small monastery has been rebuilt and restored several times. It is believed that the Tibetan alphabet was invented here by a monk.
- Prayer wheels and flags,Melamchi Ghyang Gompa (Tibetan Buddhist monastery)
- India, Arunachal Pradesh, Tawang. Buddhist pilgrims light butter lamps placed on small chortens inside Ugyenling Temple, the birthplace (in 1683) of the Sixth Dalai Lama.
- Myanmar, Burma, Yangon, Rangoon. The Reclining Buddha, Chaukhtatgyi Paya, in Yangon has 108 sacred symbols on the soles of his feet. Each mark describes the life of Buddha before attaining enlightenment.
- Close-up of Reclining Buddha Statue, Chaukhtatgyi Temple, Rangoon, Myanmar
- Reclining Buddha, Mahazedi Pagoda, Bago, Myanmar
- Reclining Buddha, Chaukhtatgyi Temple, Rangoon, Myanmar
- Japan,Honshu Island,Kyoto. Tofuku-ji is the head temple of the Tofukuji branch of Rinzai Zen Buddhism. It was founded in 1236 by priest Enni on the instructions of statesman Kujo Michiie. The temple's name is an association of Nara's two main temples,the Todai-ji and Kofuku-ji.