Tourists sit in front of the imposing towers of the mediaeval castle. Francisco Pizarro,the conqueror of Peru,was born here.
Share this Image
Save 50% when you join our email list
* Final price based on usage, not file size.
- AWL Images
- boulder (large rock)
- color image
- color photography
- color picture
- European (places and things)
- Francisco Pizarro
- Mediteranean Country
- national historic site
- Rock carving
- South European
- stock photograph
- stock picture
- Western Europe
- A stork stands on its nest on the tower of the mediaeval castle in Trujillo
- The Rocca Scaligera at Sirmione at the southern end of the lake
- Segovia's Alcazar,or fortified palace,originally dates from the 14th and 15th centuries but was virtually rebuilt following a fire in 1862. It is believed to be the model for Disneyland's Californian castle.
- Portugal, Alentejo, Monsaraz.Bullfighting in the hilltop village of Monsaraz, Alentejo.Monsaraz has been inhabited since prehistoric times as the Celts, Romans, Visigoths and Moors each took full advantage of the hill's defensive potential.
- The heavily buttressed walls of the 13th Century Castillo de Davalillo are set on a hilltop with commanding views over the Ebro Valley. Now surrounded by peaceful vineyards,it was once a strategic defensive position.
- England,Shropshire,Ludlow. Ludlow Castle - firstly a Norman Fortress and extended over the centuries to become a fortified Royal Palace. It has ensured Ludlow's place in English history - originally built to hold back the unconquered Welsh,passing through generations of the de Lacy and Mortimer families to Richard Plantagenet,Duke of York.
- Alcazar, Segovia, Castile and Leon, Spain
- Storks nest on the bell tower of San Mateo Church
More Related Images
- Italy,Tuscany,Siena. Tourists visit the Piazza del Campo,Siena's central medieval square whose focal point is the Palazzo Publico or Townhall with its 102m high bell tower,the Torre del Mangia.
- Italy,Tuscany,Siena. Tourists visit the Piazza del Campo,Siena's central medieval square whose focal point is the Palazzo Publico (Townhall) with its 102m high bell tower,the Torre del Mangia.
- A few hundred metres offshore,the picturesque Bourtzi Castle is one of Nafplio's most recognisable landmarks. Originally the port of Ancient Mycenae and Argos,Nafplio came under Venetian rule in 1388. Despite the Venetian's attempts to fortify the town they also constructed the hilltop Palamidi Fortress),Nafplio fell into the hands of the Turks in 1715.
- Caceres historical centre. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, Spain
- Way of St. James's pilgrims arriving at Villafranca del Bierzo. Castilla y Leon, Spain
- Castle of Nogales, Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain, Europe.
- Portugal,Alentejo,Redondo. Commonly know as Torre de Menagem,this small medieval tower in the village of Redondo in the Alentejo was used to isolate people with Tuberculosis.
- The Manueline exterior of the Torre de Belem in the River Tagus