Ura Kidane Meret Church boasts some of the finest 16th century murals,most painted in the maqdas,or inner sanctuary,of any Ethiopian church.
Share this Image
Save 50% when you join our email list
* Final price based on usage, not file size.
- African (places and things)
- AWL Images
- color image
- color photography
- color picture
- Ethiopian (places and things)
- Orthodox Christian
- place of worship
- Religious Art
- religious building
- stock photograph
- stock picture
- Ura Kidane Meret
- ura kidane mihret
- Zege Peninsula
- Lattice screens shade the circular passage around the 14th century church and monastery of the Ura Kidane Meret near Lake Tana.
- Fine murals decorate the interior of the rock hewn church of Yohannes Maequddi, a two hour walk from Degum on a plateau of the Gheralta Mountains east of Debretsion.The spacious rectangular interior is best known for its ancient, well-preserved murals and paintings.
- The rock hewn church of Abune Yemata in the Gheralta Mountains near Guh is renowned for its truly remarkable murals. Abune Yemata church is reached only by a hazardous ascent with tiny footholds and irregular hand grips.
- Set in a stone-walled compound,Ura Kidane Meret Church is among the largest of Lake Tana's twenty or so monasteries amd churches.
- Ethiopian style religious painting in the small Catholic church at Kalacha on the edge of the Chalbi Desert.
- Ethiopia, Lake Tana. Brightly-coloured murals depict religious scenes in Beta Giorgis Monastery.
- At a Lake Tana church a pilgrim reads a holy text of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
- Kenya,Marsabit,Kalacha. A mural in the Catholic church at Kalacha painted by an Ethiopian artist.
More Related Images
- An attractively decorated traditional thatched house belonging to an Orthodox Christian community in the Ethiopian Highlands,northeast of Addis Ababa. Most Amhara people living in the Ethiopian Highlands adhere to the Ethiopian Orthodox faith. Ethiopia is Africa's oldest Christian nation.
- Narga Selassi church,Isle of Dek,Lake Tana,Gondar region,Ethiopia,Africa
- St. George and Dragon, Uran Kidane Meherate church, Zege Peninsula, Lake Tana, Ethiopia, Africa
- Ura Kedane Meheriet church, Zege peninsula, Lake Tana, Gondar region, Ethiopia, Africa
- Ethiopia, Abraha Atsbeha, Tigray Region. The interior of the semi monolithic 10th century church of Abraha Atsbeha is richly adorned with post 17th century paintings depicting biblical scenes.
- A priest at Kebran Gabriel Church shows one of its many ancient illustrated books; the church has the largest library in the Tana region.
- Ethiopia, Gondar, Debre Birhan Selassie Church. Ancient paintings adorn the interior of this famous church.
- An old Ethiopian Orthodox priest holds a large brass Coptic cross at the rock hewn church of Adadi Maryam, just south of Addis Abeba. This is the southernmost of Ethiopias rock hewn churches.