Masterfile does not intend to either solicit or collect personal information from anyone under the age of eighteen (18) (“Children”). Children are not authorized to use this site unsupervised and are not authorized to register for an account or submit any personal information to Masterfile. By using the Website, and/or registering with Masterfile for an account, you warrant that you are 18 years of age or older.
In most cases, your consent to provide Masterfile with your Personal Information (and/or any other information) will be implied through your conduct with it (e.g. speaking with Masterfile’s staff) or by using the Website (e.g. registering on the Website). In the event that Masterfile requires more detailed information, Masterfile will request your consent.
Identifying Purposes – The Personal Information Masterfile Collects and How and Why It Collects It
In the event that Masterfile does collect Personal Information, it only collects that which is necessary to provide services to you and administer its client and billing databases and its rights usage history system. Masterfile collects information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way. Below are some examples of how Masterfile may collect and use your Personal Information (and/or any other information):
1. Client Registration: In order to use Masterfile’s images, either as a “Registered User” or “Approved Client” or to conduct a transaction through the Website, you will need to provide Masterfile with your contact information and (in some cases) a credit card number so that it can process your request and administer its client and billing databases. Masterfile only uses credit card numbers to process a transaction; Masterfile does not keep credit card numbers on file. Once you have registered, Masterfile may contact you by telephone to confirm your registration. Masterfile may also distribute newsletters and other promotional materials that provide the latest information from Masterfile and which Masterfile believes may be of interest to its registrants. If you wish not to receive such information and materials, you may request to be removed from Masterfile’s newsletter and promotional materials list.
2. Rights Usage History System: In the case of rights-managed images (“RM Images”), Masterfile keeps a history of the prior licensed uses of each RM Image in order to help clients avoid conflicting uses with their competitors. This means that Masterfile records the business name of the end-user for each RM Image, along with information regarding how the RM Image was used (e.g. placement, circulation, duration, etc.). If another client asks Masterfile about the use of a specific RM Image, Masterfile will share that information with the requesting end-user to help determine any conflicting uses with competitors.
4. Google Analytics: The Website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. (“Google”). Google Analytics utilizes cookies to help Masterfile analyze how users use the Website, but it does not collect Personal Information. The information generated by the cookie about your use of the Website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for Masterfile and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. It is Google’s policy to not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. By using the Website, you consent to Google processing data in the manner and for the purposes set out above. You may at any time reject the collection and storage of data by Google Analytics by using the tools available at http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
5. Web Beacons: In addition to cookies and Google Analytics, Masterfile may utilize other third-party technologies, including single-pixel gifs (commonly referred to as “web beacons”) on the Website and in promotional e-mails or newsletters. Web beacons are not used to collect Personal Information. They allow Masterfile to measure actions associated with a user (through an IP address) when a page that contains a web beacon is opened on the Website. Masterfile uses web beacons to help determine how many users have visited certain pages of the Website or opened promotional e-mails or newsletters. When you click on a page of the Website or open an e-mail from Masterfile that includes a web beacon, your actions, such as which pages you visited or images that you clicked on or licensed, will be recorded. This allows Masterfile, and the third-party partners we work with, to display customized advertisements for Masterfile’s products to you on third party websites and for Masterfile to create customized communications to you based on your actions. If you would like to know more about how Masterfile uses third-party technologies such as web beacons, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Statistical Data & Service Improvement: In conjunction with using cookies, Google Analytics and web beacons, Masterfile compiles statistical data on clients’ Website activity. This data is used to enable Masterfile to improve clients’ experience on the Website and may be used in future to improve the relevance of the Website for each client by providing clients with products and services that reflect their needs. As an example, Masterfile may compile information and create reports in connection with the most used search terms and review the search terms submitted by users of the Website. Masterfile may also use this data to help diagnose problems with its server and for systems administration purposes.
Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
Masterfile does not use or disclose Personal Information for purposes other than those for which it was collected. Also, Masterfile retains Personal Information only for as long as it is needed. Certain Personal Information (and/or any other information) may be disclosed to third party contractors solely for the purpose of processing or answering your request(s) including Masterfile’s representatives, subsidiaries, affiliates and authorized payment processors. Under certain circumstances, Masterfile will disclose your Personal Information:
1. when Masterfile is required or authorized by law to do so;
2. when you have consented to the disclosure, either in writing or through your conduct;
3. if Masterfile engages a third party to provide administrative services to it (e.g. computer back-up services or archival file storage);
4. as a part of any business merger, sale of the assets of Masterfile or acquisition as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which Personal Information would be transferred as part of Masterfile’s business assets; or
5. if the information is already publicly known.
Masterfile does not, however, transfer, sell or otherwise disclose any of your Personal Information (and/or any other information) to any third party to enable them to market their products and services to you.
Access to Your Personal Information
You may ask Masterfile for access to your Personal Information. All requests must be in writing and addressed to Masterfile’s Privacy Officer. A small administrative charge may apply, depending on the request.
Your rights to access your Personal Information are not absolute. Masterfile may deny access when:
1. denial of access is required or authorized by law;
2. information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings against you;
3. when granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy;
4. when to do so would prejudice negotiations with you; or
5. to protect Masterfile’s rights and property
If Masterfile denies your request for access to Personal Information, it will explain why.
Accuracy – Updating Your Information
If Masterfile has Personal Information about you and your Personal Information has changed or is inaccurate, please inform Masterfile so that it can make any necessary changes.
Masterfile takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that your Personal Information (and/or any other information) is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
1. premises security;
2. restricted file access to Personal Information;
3. technological safeguards like security software and firewalls to deter hacking or unauthorized computer access; and
4. internal passwords and security policies.
Given the evolving nature of the Internet, Masterfile cannot guarantee that its security measures will be sufficient to protect your Personal Information, however, Masterfile will maintain all safeguards it deems reasonably necessary in order to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of your Personal Information.
Communicating with Masterfile (e-mails)
Masterfile welcomes e-mail communication and uses it frequently. However, e-mail is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting Masterfile to send Personal Information (and/or any other information). Masterfile will not be liable for any Personal Information (and/or any other information) transmitted to it by e-mail.
Transmission Through Other Countries
You agree and understand that, because of the nature of the Internet, Personal Information (and/or any other information) may be transmitted through other countries that have different rules governing privacy.
Notice to International Users
In countries outside of Canada and the U.S.A., Masterfile is represented by agents or international licensees and foreign affiliates (“Authorized Parties”). As part of Masterfile’s contractual agreements with Authorized Parties, Masterfile will be required to disclose information obtained from users in the territory of the respective Authorized Parties. Such information may include Personal Information, including contact information, terms of licensing, license fees, and statistical data. This information is provided to such Authorized Parties in the interest of providing our clients with a better level of local service, communication and commerce.
Agreements with Third Parties
Aside from Masterfile’s Authorized Parties, Masterfile may enter into agreements with other third parties (e.g. other service providers or suppliers) who may require access to your Personal Information (and/or any other information). Masterfile strives to ensure that these third parties also respect your Personal Information (and/or any other information), however, Masterfile is not liable for any Third Party misuse of your Personal Information (and/or any other information).
Requests for Access
If you have any questions regarding Personal Information, please write to Masterfile’s Privacy Officer:
|By Mail:||3 Concorde Gate
Canada M3C 3N7
Attention: Privacy Officer
© 2017 Masterfile Corporation. All rights reserved.