30% off your next purchase
when you sign up for our emails
Sign up for our email newsletters to get the inside scoop on promotions and special offers.
We are an exclusive shop
Masterfile requires an “image exclusive” worldwide contract with each artist we represent, without exception. Image exclusivity allows us to offer world-class rights protection to our clients (RM), and a unique product line to our RF distributors. You can direct which of your images should be considered for RM and which are for RF, or you can leave that choice to your editor. Of course, we do not allow similars to appear in both collections.
You make the pictures, we take care of business
- We edit, record, keyword and archive your images for immediate worldwide commercial access (that one sentence represents hours of work for every image that we accept from our artists).
- We have editing teams in Toronto and Dusseldorf.
- We do the file management, marketing, selling, billing and collecting worldwide.
- We pay a royalty of 40% of the funds we collect every time an image is licensed - for both RM & RF licensing (our RF royalty rate is about double industry standard).
- We provide information on market requirements and collection gaps so you can produce relevant images for our clients.
- We track (RM) image usage and protect your copyright around the world.
Summary of Masterfile's Contract Terms with Artists
The following outline of Masterfile's contract terms is for reference only. It does not constitute an offer of representation. The outline is necessarily incomplete and does not affect the terms and conditions of a properly executed contract in any way. This information is subject to change without notice. The terms of individual contracts may vary from the information presented in this outline.
- The artist warrants ownership of all copyright in the images and guarantees that they are original creations.
- The artist appoints Masterfile as his/her exclusive agent for licensing accepted images (and similars) throughout the world.
- The artist is responsible for captioning and delivering images in a manner that is defined by Masterfile.
- Model and property releases must accompany the images, where applicable.
- All accepted images are published on the website within 90 days of initial receipt by Masterfile.
- There are NO FEES to the artist for participation in Masterfile.
- Masterfile reports all licenses issued for the artist's images each month, including relevant usage data to inform the artist of how his/her images are being used.
- Masterfile pays a 40% royalty to the artist of amounts received from its direct clients (principally in Canada & the USA), its licensing agents and its authorized distributors. Royalties are paid monthly. The royalty rate is the same for RM & RF images.
- The artist has the right to audit the accounts of Masterfile. If errors are found in an amount greater than 1% of royalties payable, Masterfile pays for the audit (it hasn't happened yet!).
- The standard term of agreement is three years, subject to annual production quotas.
Looking to join us?
Masterfile is always open to considering new talent to improve and update our collections. We are seeking people who will work hard for us and provide images that keep our clients coming back to Masterfile. And we will work very hard for you.
Digital Submissions Only
Do not send any physical materials.
In order to view new work as efficiently as possible, we can only handle images submitted digitally, as follows:
You can show us a sample in two ways:
- If you have a website, or are listed in a web-based visual directory, please send us your URL.
- You may e-mail us 20 - 30 of your best images following these guidelines:
- Images must be in RGB JPEG format
- The overall file size of your email cannot exceed 4MB. (Messages exceeding this size will be rejected by our mail server).
Please email your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Personal Meetings and Follow Up
Unfortunately, we do not accommodate personal meetings with artists until we have decided we want to represent them. We devote maximum time and energy working for the artists we already represent, which is exactly what you can expect from us if we become your agent.
If we like what we see, you will be contacted by Artist Services to submit additional work, and high resolution files for a technical review.
Please note: we require images to be taken with a minimum 12 megapixel camera.
Due to the large volume of submissions, we will contact only those artists we are interested in.
We look forward to seeing your work!