This image illustrates the phenomenon that has enabled astronomers to indirectly detect dozens of planets, even if the planets themselves are too small to be seen directly. As a planet passes in front of its star, the star's light dips just a little - but it can be measured, and the presence of a planet thus inferred. - Stock Photo
Prices – Special Introductory Offer*
Web-Res550×309px | 7.6×4.3in 72ppi$19.50$65.00
Low-Res1100×619px | 15.3×8.6in 72ppi$49.50$165.00
Medium-Res2493×1402px | 8.3×4.7in 300ppi$123.00$410.00
Hi-Res4317×2429px | 14.4×8.1in 300ppi$157.50$525.00
Super Hi-Res6000×3375px | 20.0×11.3in 300ppi$174.00$580.00
* Click here to join our email list today to get 70% off your next purchase. Your coupon code will be sent by email.
- ALIEN PLANET
- color image
- color picture
- Earth (planet)
- outer space
- PLANETARY SCIENCE
- public transit
- RED DWARF
- scale (contrast in size)
- space exploration
- star (astronomy)
- stock picture
- work of art
- An impression of a possible carbon (or diamond or carbide) planet. According to theory, a planet such as this might form in a protoplantetary disc which is rich in carbon but poor in oxygen. A carbon planet would have an iron core, much like an ordinary terrestrial planet, but this would be encased in layers of liquid silicon carbide and titanium carbide. The crust would be made of graphite, sever
- Jupiter and Earth, Computer artwork showing Jupiter (centre) and Earth (lower centre) to scale.
- Alien planet, computer artwork.
- Lunar exploration, computer artwork.
- Kepler 453-b is the tenth transiting, so-called 'Tatooine exoplanet' found by the Kepler spacecraft. It is a circumbinary planet, meaning that it orbits the two central stars as if they were one. From the planet, or from a satellite around the planet, it would be possible to witness double sunsets (or sunrises) as in the movie Star Wars, when Luke Skywalker gazes at the setting suns on his home pl
- Artwork of planer Kepler 70b. Kepler 70 is a sub-dwarf star. It passed through the red giant phase, losing much of its mass, and is now in a helium-burning phase. Its radius in only 20 percent that of the Sun. Two planets have been confirmed in orbit around Kepler 70, with a possible third awaiting confirmation. The closest in, Kepler 70b, orbits at just 0.006 AU (astronomical units) from the sub-
- HD189733b is a gas-giant exoplanet with the highest wind speeds ever recorded for any planet. The planet is very close in to its parent star, so one face has a lot of heating. This difference in temperature between the night and day sides drives ferocious winds across the planet at speeds up to 2km per second. In this depiction, the planet is shown with a thick cloud band encircling its equator. O
- Stars do not last forever. After around 10 billion years, a star like the Sun will start to run low on the supply of hydrogen in its core, which it uses to form helium and keep shining. Once that happens, the core - losing its outward pressure source - will shrink under its own gravity, while the outer layers are pushed out. As its surface expands, its becomes cooler and redder but much more lumin
More Related Images
- Earth and Moon, artwork
- Artwork of exoplanets around nearby star
- Astronaut by the rocket in space with earth and stars in the background
- Mars lander in orbit, computer artwork.
- Spacecraft landing on the surface of a blue planet, computer illustration.
- The solar system, illustration
- Sunrise over Earth, computer artwork.